Wednesday 30 June 2010

Transition


MONACHE MEADOW

Kennedy Meadows sits innocently enough in the middle of nowhere just doing it's own thing. It marks the end of the desert and the beginning of the Sierra mountain range. A staging post if you like, a marker to tell you that you no longer have to endure the heat, dust and lack of water of southern California and can look forward to cooler temperatures, abundant water and views to die for.

I climbed steadily over an afternoon and the following morning. Cresting Deer Mountain Ridge I descended to Monache Meadow and was met with a panorama that had me in disbelief. Mountains to either side of me framed a scene that I shall remember for the rest of my life. The Kern River meandered through the middle of the picture without haste, beige sand sloped gently to it's edge. Lush meadow carpeted the valley floor and tall Pines scattered the hills. The finale was provided by countless clouds streaming overhead, so perfect I dared to even breathe. My jaw dropped, my eyes opened wide and suddenly all the reasons why I had wanted to do this challenge in the first place became completely clear. The PCT had taken my emotional turmoil and weakness of the last week, picked them up and thrown them to one side. It had provided me with confirmation that I had made the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment